September 2021 - Post-Hurricane Ida post

     Hurricane Ida was not my first experience with a hurricane, having had to deal with the fallout of Sandy hitting the northeast back in 2012. As such, I went into Ida weekend with a nonchalant attitude of overconfidence - "If I had no issues with 5th worst hurricane in US history," I thought, "I'll probably walk out of this one like it's no big deal."

    Ida taught me the strange feeling of being aware of what I've come to refer to as my "altitude privilege." Edison, NJ is, all things considered, a weather haven. We're situated on a hill for the most part, meaning we're too high above sea level to have to deal with the strongest of winds or the worst of the flooding from the tropical storms that, from time to time, meander our way, but we're not high enough to be effected by things like the jet stream or the extreme snow and cold that gets thrown the way of mountains. Sure, we used to get some pretty bad blizzards and nor'easters, but it seems like global warming's taking care of those. Heck, even if all the ice caps and glaciers melt, Edison is placed firmly on dry land. While the world is burning in my adulthood, I'll at least get to kick back and relax in my suburban-home-turned-seaside-property.

    But New Orleans afforded me none of these comforts. As I weathered the storm on Sunday the 29th, I felt genuine fear - I had never been in the path of a storm so severe that I was afraid for my house and my safety, and I suppose I had the rookie jitters. The aftermath was just as surreal - the worst I had to deal with after Sandy was my powerline being cut and a few twigs and rocks being strewn about. Stepping out to see trees with substantial trunks having been snapped like twigs on the same block as my house was a harrowing and humbling experience. It instilled a feeling of both gratitude and awe (in the biblical sense of the word) to know that the only reason I got off much lighter than others in NOLA was just pure luck.

    On the other hand, it was nice to reaffirmation of my ability to take situations, good or bad, at their face value, and dig in and do what needed to be done. Taking cold showers with days-old water out of a bucket or forcing myself to ration my disaster food isn't something that I've had to do since living in India in a house without modern plumbing or reliable electricity, but I was able to suck it up and do what needed to be done. Boarding up my windows isn't something I've never had to do before, but I was able to suck it up and do what needed to be done. I was excited to finally be free from the clutches of Zoom learning, but when classes moved back online thanks to the storm, I was able to suck it up and do what needed to be done. That sense of quiet resilience in times of distress is something I've always prided myself on, and it was nice to know I've still got what it takes to at least try and persevere through life's challenges with my best effort.

    Ida also gave me a newfound appreciation of the breadth of the opportunity I've been afforded to be able to study Pharm at Tulane. In my short time in New Orleans, I've fallen a little in love with the city, and am excited to return to a school with professors and administrators that I know will go above and beyond to ensure the safety and success of their students. During my evacuation and short stay in Houston with my fellow students, the first thought I had was "Wow, Emory probably would have told me to suck it up and figure out my own way home." Tulane went above and beyond in their effort to return my life to normalcy, and I want to return the favor by going above and beyond in my effort to succeed at this school academically.

- Sanjay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Blogpost

January Blog Post

March Blogpost