March Blogpost

 COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS: 4 Hours, soup kitchen

    This month was, despite being super stressful thanks to all of my presentations aligning on nearly back to back weeks, was one of my favorite of the program, thanks to the material we were being lectured on. Dr. Clarkson mentioned during our orientation that the psychopharm module was one of the best, and I can see why he was tooting its horn - I haven't been so invested in a module before, as the topics presented were just fascinating. The fact of the matter is, a lot of the illnesses discussed during the modules, like schizophrenia and Alzheimer's, are unsolved medical mysteries; at least, even more so than usual. The lectures felt like being presented a challenge, as the next generation of medical practitioners and researchers, as these awful ailments beckon towards me and my class members to add our own contribution to the fight against them. I have a personal connection to the epilepsy lectures, as a close friend of mine recently developed a seizure disorder, and I've seen the human element of the disease - the fear that she feels at night when it comes close to the time where her recurring seizures occur, the bruises and bumps that she wakes up to, the repulsion she feels when she see videos of her seizures, the way her personality changed to be more irritable and irate as a side effect of the medication: the seizures themselves were easy compared to the emotional damage it inflicts. Hopefully, as I move forward, I can contribute to the understanding and eventual elimination of epilepsy and other disorders like it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Blogpost

January Blog Post